The chief factory in the town was the Northallerton Linoleum Company, which belonged to Messrs. Miles, Sykes and Company Limited, who bought the business in 1912. The business was founded in the mid-19th century by Sir George Elliott, M.P. for Northallerton, but originally made only tarpaulin and brattice cloth. The new owners introduced the manufacturing of linoleum, harness, horse cloths and motor car covers. In 1922, when this picture was taken, it employed about two hundred workers. Copied from "Northallerton in Postcards".